The Sac County Hometown Pride program began in 2014.The county-wide program includes nine communities, the county and the county-wide economic development and tourism organization. The communities are: Auburn, Early, Lake View, Lytton, Nemaha, Odebolt, Sac City, Schaller, and Wall Lake. The population of the communities range from 80 to 2,100; the total population of Sac County is 10,021.
From the moment you enter Sac County, you are greeted with a bright array of Sac County Barn Quilts welcoming you. Known for its rich farmland, livestock industry, and good Midwestern work ethic, Sac County is home to a variety of business and industry. Tourism abounds around Black Hawk Lake in Lake View as we welcome over a quarter million visitors a year to enjoy the water activities, the campgrounds and you’ll make a “memory a mile” on the 33-mile Sauk Rail Trail.
The World’s Largest Popcorn Ball – certified by the Guinness Book of World Records, not once, but three times – highlights the area’s robust popcorn industry.
Some of the significant accomplishments to date are:
- Countywide projects and collaboration including Bike Around Sac County (BASC), county promotion at the Omaha Boat Sports & Travel Show, Leadership Training Series, and plans to initiate a clean-up of the Raccoon River
- New street signs installed in Early and Schaller
- Annual shoreline clean-up of Blackhawk Lake
- New planters on main street in Schaller and new flower baskets in business district of Wall Lake
- Annual “Paint Iowa Beautiful” grants for painting projects in Sac City and Auburn
- Community garden spaces in Lytton
- Build with Bags grants for benches along Raccoon River are for the canoe access in Sac City
- Significant fundraising for swimming pool improvements in Odeobolt
- Over $150,000 raised for construction of a splash pad in Lake View
- Plans under development to for trail connecting Auburn to Grant Park
Keep Iowa Beautiful continues to support the continued mission of the program in Sac County. To learn more about the successes of this program, view our 2017-2018 Annual Report.
Contact Sac County Hometown Pride Community Coach