As Keep Iowa Beautiful’s flagship Hometown Pride Community, Pocahontas County is comprised of nine of communities in the northwest corridor of Iowa. They include Fonda, Gilmore City, Havelock, Laurens, Palmer, Plover, Pocahontas, Rolfe and Varina. As of the 2010 census, the population was 7,310.
Pocahontas County blends the unique attributes of its communities, families, individuals and businesses by working cooperatively to create a wholesome, diverse work and social environment. In 2016, the surrounding communities welcomed hundreds of thousands of RAGBRAI riders through it’s towns, showcasing hometown pride at its finest.
Throughout the five-year Hometown Pride coaching program, major achievements have been accomplished:
- The First Impressions Exchange Program was initiated in five of the nine Hometown Pride communities.
- Varina Hometown Pride Committee erected new playground equipment and picnic tables in Varina City Park.
- A Pocahontas County Trails Master Plan was completed by the Pocahontas County Trails Committee and approved by the Pocahontas County Board of Supervisors.
- County-wide County Trails Project and the County Art Project were formed with plans to deploy special projects.
- Painting of community buildings within five communities.
Keep Iowa Beautiful continues to support the continued mission of the program in Pocahontas County. To learn more about the successes of this program, view our 2017-2018 Hometown Pride Annual Report.